Monday, November 1, 2010

The why and how of losing weight and being healthy. Part 1 of ??????

So, I really don't even know where to start. I guess I'll start by saying: 99% of the clothes in my closet are too BIG! I must admit, it's a good problem to have. LOL Between Paterick and I, we have lost a cumulative 54 lbs in the last 14-ish months. I'm dying to share with you the "how", but first you have to know the "why". You'll have to bear with me on how jumbled this is all going to be. I should have at least been journaling through all of this.

In December 08, I gave birth to baby boy #5. His delivery was my most difficult, so far. Partly because he was breech, partly because he was my biggest, and partly because I wasn't in the best health. But his birth is its own story entirely. I had gained 10 lbs right before I conceived him and let's just say it didn't go away while I was pregnant. So here I am post baby at a size 14. No big deal, I thought. The weight always comes off fairly easily for me. I've been a pretty steady 152 (non-pregnant) weight for most of the last 10 years. I was 162 when I conceived Oliver because of some Christmas/New Year's/Valentine's sugar binging. I'll be the first to tell you.....I'm a sugar-addict.

I usually don't worry about my weight or size until baby is about 6 months old. My history shows that I just magically drop 10-15 lbs at the 6 month post-partum mark, with the rest coming off over the next 3 or so months. 9 months on, 9 months off, right? Well, not so much, this time. :( Add to that, a fall I had when I was early 2nd trimester and I was fat, miserable, tired, and had REALLY achey hips. So, last Fall (I don't remember if it was August or September), I decided I was going to actually have to work the extra weight off. According to all of the weight-range charts I was.....gulp.....overweight! ACK! How did this happen? Was I not the same health-conscious person who swore she would NEVER be overweight? Yep, one and the same and it hurt! When I first started trying to lose weight I was 173. My baby was 9 months old and I was not only not down to my pre-pregnancy weight, but I was 10 lbs heavier. So 20 lbs heavier than a "normal" weight for me.

What did I do then? Well, first I cried.....then I bought some Winter clothes, because I didn't have any that fit. And I cried some more because I had NEVER bought size Large tops! (And it's not because I got busty, either. I didn't. I'm still wondering where the bust went.) I'm the chicken-arm woman and all my flub was in my middle. From my ribs to my knees, that's where my extra weight had taken up residence. Of course, feeling as lousy as I did, I soothed myself with twice-weekly batches of my DELICIOUS homemade cookies, ice cream at least once a week, started drinking soda again for the first time in YEARS! THEN, to add insult to injury, my hips started hurting me. BAD!!!!!! I sometimes couldn't walk without spasms in my hips. I've had pains in my hips before, but NOTHING like this. There are multiple reasons for the pain, and I'll explain in more detail later. I'll list them just for fun: I stopped seeing my chiropractor right after Oliver was born because P lost his job when he was 5 days old. I was eating waaaayyyyyy too many sweets. I was physically lazy..ie no exercise whatsoever.

Not knowing what else to do, I thought back on what had worked in the past. That was low-carb/Atkins type stuff. So I started that last Fall and quickly lost 11 lbs and got back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 162. Then came the Fall/Winter Holidays. In spite of the loss of 10 lbs, though, my hips got worse and worse. Fortunately, I quickly relost the 5 lbs I found over the Holidays, but by March, my hips were so bad, I couldn't get through a single day without ibuprofen. Then my gears started turning. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory drug. But I'm a big believer in healing with foods instead of using medication as a bandaid. So I started doing some research on inflammatory and anti-inflammatory foods. That's when I came accross The Blood-type Diet.

More on that tomorrow..........

No comments:

Post a Comment